Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I'm not sure if I trust Barack Obama...

I am trying to get both positive and negative information on the presidential candidates. I want to make an informed decision this November. I truly believe it is our responsibility as citizens of the United States to vote. If we choose not to vote - I think we should lose our right to complain. With that said...I'm not sure if I can vote for someone that I don't trust and I'm not sure if I trust Barack Obama to run our country. First let me say this - it has NOTHING to do with his race. I would support someone that was a different race, a woman and/or someone who was a different religion as long as I trusted them and knew they had the experience to do the job. I am tired of agendas and I truly dislike all the smear campaigns. I know it is going on on both sides, but I don't like it period. What happened to common diplomacy and respect? Okay, back to my reasoning. I believe ones past has a lot to do with who they are in the present. Barack Obama is a both a very intelligent and well educated man, but I'm not sure if that is enough. I want to know what his true religious views are (yes, this matters!). I want to know if he shares the same views as Rev. Wright? I want to know WHY he refused to salute and honor the American Flag. I want to know what his real stand is on the economy, gun control, taxes and the energy crisis. I want to know what he would, if elected, would do to repair our country and how he would do it. I don't want flip flopping on the issues based on who he's talking to...I want solid answers the same day in a day out.
My reasoning...on religion - our country and constitution on were founded and based on christianity and I want to know that believes in and will encourage those same rights and values. On Rev. Wright - this man was his religious advisor for many years and might still be. He (Rev. Wright) has said "Not God Bless America, God Damn America!" That is horrific! I love my country, my rights and my freedoms and it pisses me off that he said that! (*Note -It would piss me off if I heard anyone say that.) He lives in America. He has the same rights and freedoms that I do, but yet he verbally vomits on it...is that honoring his country? I think not! Furthermore, it bothers me that a presidential candidate associates himself religiously with someone who feels that way about our country. On saluting the American Flag - why wouldn't he do this? This is the symbol of freedom for our beloved country and he disgraced it by keeping his hands down during the National Anthem. Does this strike anyone else as odd? On the economy - What will he do to repair the mortgage crisis, the unemployment rates, the costs of everyday needs for our families? I need to know what his prospective is. Not only for me and my family, but for the future of our nation. We are in disrepair and need to be mended...what are his goals for our country and how does he plan to achieve them? I NEED to know these answers before I can even consider voting for him or Senator McCain. All I see in the debates is he said he said. It bothers me. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. Is that so much to ask? I need to trust my future president! Period! Does anybody else agree?

5 comments:

prez said...

Hey Emily - I didn't know you had a blog!

This should clear up some of your concerns about Obama and the national anthem: http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/anthem.asp

I think Obama's been pretty consistent and clear on his answers to your issues of main concern (go to barackobama.com and look under the Issues tab). But regardless, I think it's pretty evident that a McCain administration wouldn't be all that much different than Bush - so if you think things aren't so good right now (and they're not), then the choice is clear.

Emily said...

Thanks Prez...I will look at sites you mentioned, but I do disagree with you on McCain. I don't think Senator McCain or President Bush have very much in common. They actually differ on a lot of the issues, aside from the fact that they are both Republicans. Also, John Kerry was actually considering having John McCain as his running mate in the 2004. Several Democrats actually liked Senator McCain until he ran for the the Republican nomination. Now both parties have their own agendas and are slamming each other against the ropes. Agendas aside, the most important issue is what is best for the USA and who would do the best job. That is what I'm trying to figure out for myself. Thanks for your help.

prez said...

McCain and Bush, I think, have a lot in common.

McCain's voting record and how it compares to Bush's positions:

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/is_it_true_john_mccain_voted_with.html

And from the New York Times, a comparison of Bush's and McCain's views on the issues:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/06/17/us/politics/20080617_POLICY_GRAPHIC.html

prez said...

So who did you end up voting for???

Emily said...

I voted for McCain. To be honest, I am still not 100% sure of Obama, however, he will be the president and I will support him. I just hope he actually does what he says he's going to do and hopefully won't do a few things he promised. We shall see.